Re: remember the "diameter of the internet"?

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 15:05:07 2002

Er... back then it took 2 months to learn everything a backbone engineer
had to know.  Nowadays it's an alphabet soup of stupid techniques to
achieve the same result - i.e. to deliver a packet from place A to place
B.  Blame greeeeedy vendors (OFRV, particularly, and don't forget
hellcore) who sell FUD instead of making their products easy to use.
Given their dominant position on the market, everyone else has to be
"compatible" with the zillion little features just to stay afloat.

Regarding the diameter of the Internet - I'm still trying to figure out
why the hell anyone would want to have "edge" routers (instead of dumb
TDMs) if not for inability of IOS to support large numbers of virtual
interfaces.  Same story goes for "clusters" of backbone routers.

--vadim