Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: Daniel Senie
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 15:00:00 2002

At 02:30 PM 6/18/02, Lou Katz wrote:

A client of mine just discovered that he could no longer do ftp
transfers to my machine. His IP address had changed to one in
12.240.20 and there is no reverse DNS for that block. His
previous assignment was in a totally different block which did
have reverse DNS. Calls to ATTBI got the answer that they
are not obligated to provide reverse DNS and have no plans to
do so. My servers refuse connections when there is no reverse
lookup.
Your server is using this INADDR lookup for what purpose? Security?

INADDR is a really good idea for network operators to be using, and a really BAD idea for server operators to use as a security mechanism. Fix your server to be less anal.

read draft-ietf-dnsop-inaddr-required-03.txt from your favorite Internet Drafts archive for additional information on this subject.

Is this common?
I have a CDPD card which has a fixed address. It's from Verizon Wireless. There's no INADDR. There seems to be a lack of understanding and clue all around on INADDR, which is the motivation for the above-mentioned draft. Having something to point network operators and server operators to would, IMO, help.

--
I suppose I could set up a bogus reverse for him, but, feh...
Either you set up something, or you can make your server not care about reverse, or lose the customer.

Daniel Senie [email protected]
Amaranth Networks Inc. http://www.amaranth.com