Re: ATTBI refuses to do reverse DNS?

  • From: brett watson
  • Date: Tue Jun 18 14:40:56 2002

--On Tuesday, June 18, 2002 11:30 AM -0700 Lou Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
A client of mine just discovered that he could no longer do ftp
transfers to my machine. His IP address had changed to one in
12.240.20 and there is no reverse DNS for that block. His
previous assignment was in a totally different block which did
have reverse DNS. Calls to ATTBI got the answer that they
are not obligated to provide reverse DNS and have no plans to
do so. My servers refuse connections when there is no reverse
lookup.

Is this common?
yes, i've had similar problems with cox both when i had [email protected] business service, and now that i have [email protected] residential service.

this feeds right into the thread that branched off my post about "network diameter" in which people are talking about "clue factor". these networks spring up overnight, built by people who are missing some of the fundamental knowledge about how all this "stuff" works. and we're stuck with it as end users.

-b