RE: remember the "diameter of the internet"?

  • From: jlewis
  • Date: Mon Jun 17 18:40:27 2002

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> "I'm a Tier-One transit provider -- I only sell transit!  You need to be
> just like me in order to peer with me, and you need to exchange gigabits
> of traffic with me in every exchange I'm connected into.  Good luck
> meeting my requirements!  Meanwhile would you like to pay port and
> access charges to reach my other customers instead?", and then there's
> the "we don't peer with customers" tactic -- as if they have _only_
> other transit networks as customers, though oddly ARIN often disagrees
> with their view of things....

PSI (back before they went belly up) was even better with their "free
peering" bait-n-switch.  I looked into that, and they'd run a T1 to us for
free peering, but I didn't think that would cut it.  I wanted at least
frac-T3 if we were going to peer.  Well...frac-T3 peering wasn't available
in the city we wanted to peer in, but they offered to sell us frac-T3
transit there.

 Jon Lewis *[email protected]*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |