Re: spare fibers

  • From: Kelly J. Cooper
  • Date: Mon Jun 17 09:51:18 2002

If you're referring to the National Security Council (NSC) or the
President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board (PCIPB) and the
ISP-related working groups they put together (which Avi reported on
at NANOG) when you say "they" then you should know that they are
looking at those sorts of things and they're working on building a
simulator/test-bed.  It just wasn't part of the charters for the WGs.

They're looking at a lot of different issues because they understand
there aren't any silver bullets.  Hence the working groups... hence
the long set of questions that someone else pointed to... hence some
of the other projects they're working on... they want feedback.
They want to understand as many aspects of the various problems as
possible.

BUT there are also a LOT of different sets of "they" out there, so
try to be specific.

Regards,
Kelly J.

On Jun 16,  7:42pm, Daniel Golding wrote:
> Subject: RE: Re: spare fibers
*
*Hmm. How many points of disruption, backhoes, chainsaws, hooligans, etc,
*would be needed to do this in the US and Canada? 20? 30? Sean Donelan on
*a specially outfitted Segway? (just picture it...)
*
*I suspect that might be a better source of inquiry for our friends in
*the federal government, then, say, SBGP.
*
*Might be useful for the Powers That Be to actually do a simulation of
*this, and see how far they can get.
*
*- Daniel Golding
*