Re: LEAP Security Vulnerabilities??

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Thu Jun 13 15:37:05 2002

Thus spake "Hyska, Jason [JJCUS]" <[email protected]>
> I am well aware of the many security vulnerabilities that exist
> on wireless networks as well as the inadequacies of WEP.

WEP's only real failure was the failure to specify keying; vendors (and users)
with less security experience interpreted this to mean static keys were
sufficient.

The choice of RC4 was unfortunate given the above problem, but the coming switch
to AES should fix that.

> I was curious if anyone has had any experiences with Cisco's
> LEAP authentication protocol?  I have scoured the net for
> reviews or documents examining any potential vulnerabilities,
> but have not been able to find any.  Any and all help or
> information would be appreciated.

LEAP itself is unlikely to present problems, as it's just a means to verify
802.1x credentials and force key rotation.  I'd be much more wary of potential
problems in 802.1x itself, since that's the over-the-air portion.