RE: Survey: Peering Staffing Levels

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu Jun 13 13:38:53 2002

Andy,

At a larger ISP, you typically need a couple folks for peering.

- One or more peering coordinators (one is more normal) to interface with
their counterparts. These folks generally need both network engineering and
contract administration tools. If they have one skill set, but not the
other, it can lead to some difficulties, either way.

- One or two network analysts, to create tools, and evaluate peering data,
in order to decide who you want to peer with, who you don't, and if people
are violating their peering agreements with you. A good background in
network tool scripting, statistics, and network engineering is useful

- A manager or technical leader well versed in contract administration, BGP
architecture, and the ability to tie together sales dictates, martketing
direction, and legal input into a cohesive peering policy. May also head the
Peering Committee, if one exists.

There can be a lot of overlap here between other groups like network
analysis and network engineering. Sometimes it can be the same group.

- Dan