Re: What's wrong with provisioning tools?

  • From: Mathew Lodge
  • Date: Wed Jun 12 17:29:04 2002

David,

Almost all of what you're talking about is network device configuration file management -- there are several solutions out there today that do this. The rest is template-based configuration provisioning tools, which typically have no operational model of the network -- so it should be no surprise that they generate the wrong configurations. So there are two questions:

The first is why aren't operators using even simple config management tools (Is every single one lacking somehow, or is it operational intertia?)

The more interesting one, IMHO, concerns operational complexity. It seems that complexity is really what makes it hard to operate an IP network -- even with highly skilled engineers -- and is also the barrier to writing useful network provisioning and configuration software. What abstractions would make it easier to understand the network and hence figure out the right configuration changes to make, so software wouldn't generate config changes that are broken?

Regards,

Mathew