Re: Summary to date: How many protocols...

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Wed Jun 12 11:02:59 2002

Thus spake "todd glassey" <[email protected]>
> So the real question was "From an ISP's perspective, I was looking for a
> general number as to how many user-level protocols you ISP folks route
> through your infrastructure and what the statistical distribution of total
> bytes per protocol out of the total bytes moved is/was."

ISPs route IP packets, not user-level protocols.

Some ISPs keep statistics on which user-level protocols are in use, and as you
note HTTP is heavily dominant.

> Since there is much unrest in the ICANN today and US Senators are now
> screaming about its reform, I would like to pose the question to the ISP
> members of this group, what will you do about the impending need at the ISP
> level for:
>
>     1)    Supporting multiple DNS Roots for your clients

There is only one root, even if it is controlled by a bunch of idiots.

>     2)    Installing and supporting the mechanical concept of eBorders
>     3)    What if anything you folks are doing to produce network
> infrastructure worthy of being called "Evidentiary Grade"...

I think most folks are still worried about out how to profitably provide basic
IP transport; eBorders (whatever that is) and "Evidentiary Grade" networking are
stuff for academics.