Summary to date: How many protocols...

  • From: todd glassey
  • Date: Wed Jun 12 10:35:46 2002

Since it seems that Mr. Bush has publicly labeled me a troll on this list,
let me be clear about what I was looking for an why when I posted this
request. BTW - in my best 'trollese' - My apologies for not being clearer in
my original post or in using the terms "Slamming ICANN" since what the real
intent was to push ICANN to explain certain components of its new
divestiture plan.

So the real question was "From an ISP's perspective, I was looking for a
general number as to how many user-level protocols you ISP folks route
through your infrastructure and what the statistical distribution of total
bytes per protocol out of the total bytes moved is/was."

Since there is much unrest in the ICANN today and US Senators are now
screaming about its reform, I would like to pose the question to the ISP
members of this group, what will you do about the impending need at the ISP
level for:

    1)    Supporting multiple DNS Roots for your clients

    2)    Installing and supporting the mechanical concept of eBorders

    3)    What if anything you folks are doing to produce network
infrastructure worthy of being called "Evidentiary Grade"...

As to why I would ask this of NANOG... well that's simple. You folks are
where the rubber meets the road. You are the network operators and
everything else is just window dressing if it doesn't get airplay for this
crowd... Which is to say, even with the occasional abuse from people like
Mr. Bush and his troll commentary, this is still ground zero as far as I am
concerned, and I wanted to thank all who sent offline answers to this
question.

For the record so far it looks like about 20 separate client level protocols
and of them about 80-82% is http as an average. Clearly within the
expectations, but also a good set of numbers to have.

Todd S. Glassey