Re: Error in assignments....?

  • From: Sabri Berisha
  • Date: Tue Jun 11 09:09:25 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:

> > A route is something different then an IP assignment/allocation. There can
> > be multipe routes and multiple originating AS's for a netblock. The
> > netblock you are referring to is not globally visible btw.

> Ok, my fault. I ment to say route object. However, I fail to see why (if)
> you would like to allow the same route to source from muliple AS:es....

Why not?

Suppose company A has a PA allocation 10.21.0.0/20. Company A gets a T1
from Carrier B. Carrier B announces 10.21.0.0/20 with their AS65531 and
statically route the /20 to company A. If Company A wants to be redundant
and gets another T1 from Carrier C, Carrier C will announce 10.21.0.0/20
with their AS65532 and statically route 10.21.0.0/20 to Company A.

I see no problem in this. If Carrier B screws up, the traffic will still
flow through Carrier C. If Carrier B screws up in such a way that they
still announce the netspace, Carrier C can announce 2 /21's instead of 1
/20 so it will still work.

--
Sabri Berisha
					"I route, therefore you are"