Re: Reclaiming hijacked handle

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Mon Jun 10 14:33:53 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> Question 1: Did ARIN start expiring unused handles or did
> something in the process of the hijack cause my handle to increment up
> to 569, which I'm assuming was the next open number in the
> in the scheme for 'MH'.

If they did start expiring unused handles... Mine is used on a SWIP
for a netblock which I no longer control, 207.166.196.176/28. I haven't
used it for anything else. Was your handle taken off all of the records
it used to be on? My handle (sjs5-arin, corresponding to my NetSol handle
sjs5) is still active. With incorrect information, of course, and I have
to update it, but it's still there. But I am still the POC of record for
207.166.196.176/28. My upstream isn't planning to take me off the SWIP
until they reassign the block. :-/

> Question 2: If an account is passworded, how were they able to
> take it? Does ARIN not ask for a copy of a license or other
> photo ID when making voice/fax based changes to POC's?

I required no such info to do my SWIP. In fact, I was working for the
company that is now my upstream at the time, and I just e-mailed the
template in, and they threw it into the database. I didn't even PGP-sign
it.

Keep in mind that this happened at least four or five years ago...

--
Steve Sobol, CTO  JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET
- I do my best work with one of my cockatiels sitting on each shoulder -