Re: How many protocols...

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Mon Jun 10 14:24:22 2002

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, E.B. Dreger wrote:

> I'd guess that many route:
>
> IPv4, IPv6, ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP, OSPF, RSVP, IPIP, ESP, AH,
> EIGRP, L2TP, ISIS.
>
> That's 14 or so... of course, I may have missed some or put too
> much faith in another.

How can you forget the king of all protocols, RIP? :)

But seriously, I still don't understand the semantics. If you're "routing"
those protocols, you're also routing SMTP, DNS, POP, IMAP, HTTP,
HTTPS...wacky multiplayer game protocols...anything that runs on IP,
basically.

So you're either routing IP, or you're routing `wc -l /etc/services`
number of services plus possibly infinite more.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access