Re: Updates to the root zone Re: KPNQwest ns.eu.net server.

  • From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist
  • Date: Fri Jun 07 04:06:40 2002

This is not a political question, only operational process.

Has ICANN and NTIA worked out their operational issues so they can quickly
change the root zone to reflect changes in ccTLD nameservers if people
need to change which name servers are handling the ccTLDs.  Last year,
some of the ccTLD operators were complaining it sometimes took weeks after
they submitted the change for it to make it into the root zone.
Actually what worries me more is the following.

I did a small check on how frequently DNS servers occure in the European ccTLDs NS records. If I leave out the ones that only oocure once, I get the following :

14 NS.EU.NET.
10 NS.UU.NET.
9 SUNIC.SUNET.SE.
3 NS2.NIC.FR.
2 NS.RIPE.NET.
2 NS-EXT.VIX.COM.
2 DNS.PRINCETON.EDU.
2 AUTH02.NS.UU.NET.

This is after checking 18 ccTLDs. Most of them only have four secondaries. If I read this correctly, the geographic distribution of servers is not that bad, but it could be better. Preferably by going with more than four secondaries. Consider that up until not to long ago, several of these servers where behind the same upstream.

Best regards,

- kurtis -