Re: KPNQwest ns.eu.net server.

  • From: John Payne
  • Date: Thu Jun 06 13:32:43 2002

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 04:24:40PM +0200, Daniel Concepcion wrote:

> Yes Neil,
>
> It should be interesting to know the 'official' requirements/recommendations
> for ccTLD's hosting
> For example: diversity geographical, network needs, security needs, building
> environment., etc

I've only been able to find a best practise guideline that specifies
that the nameserver be online 24/7.

(http://www.wwtld.org/ongoing/bestpractices/BestPractice_10Mar2001.html)

I found it interesting to note that a significant number of cctld servers
ignore the suggestions for root-servers in BCP40/RFC2870...
"Other major zone server operators (gTLDs, ccTLDs, major zones) may also find
it useful." and leave recursion enabled on the ccTLD servers (2.5) - the old
ns.eu.net was one of these, I believe RIPE have done the right thing with the
new one.

What is even more disturbing is that there is a non-zero number of ccTLD
servers that are still cache poisonable.