Re: Diagnostic Tools

  • From: brett watson
  • Date: Thu Jun 06 13:30:15 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pawlukiewicz Jane" <[email protected]>
To: "Marc Pierrat" <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 10:02 AM
Subject: Re: Diagnostic Tools

No. But I was thinking of something more robust. And I think it depends
on what level you want your diagnostics to go to. Then there's metrics,
analysis, detection processes.

Ping and traceroute give me a ton of data. I was thinking of something
that takes that data and turns it into the bottom line. Where is the
problem, when did it start, all the good stuff.

I still can't believe someone hasn't cashed in on this. Or is it
something you wouldn't need or use?
the bottom line is, when you're on the outside looking in, there's only so much you're going to be able to see or analyze on someone else's network. everyone needs tools like this, and would use them. trouble is, it's a hard problem to solve and design tools for. many groups have formed to discuss "standard metrics" with respect to IP backbones. i'm not sure there's ever been much concensus from them.

see www.caida.org. just poke around, lots of data on the order of what i think you're looking for. however, they usually anonymize (is that a word?) the data to be politically correct and protect themselves legally.

some folks at caimis.com (acquired by ixia) were doing some really interesting development of tools for routing performance metrics. www.ixiacom.com.

if you want to participate in standards for this kind of thing, go peruse www.ietf.org and look for the performance metrics working groups and netops groups.

-b