Re: Bogon list

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Tue Jun 04 18:27:46 2002

In a message written on Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 01:54:07PM -0700, Aditya wrote:
> Am I right that I don't see a reason why IX blocks should be transited other
> than traceroute should work? I can think of a couple of reasons why the blocks
> SHOULDN'T be transitted by anyone.

Traceroute to www.foo.com, see it goes through an exchange.  Ping
the router on the far end of the exchange, "host unreachable".
Traceroute to it, "host unreachable" at the first default free
router.  Not only will this confuse your customers, but often first
level support staff.

Also, you buy service from your favorite default free network.
They aren't present at an exchange.  You want to traceroute/ping
a host on that lan.  You can't, unless someone tranists the exchange.

So, I consider it important _ALL_ exchange lans get transit from
one or more providers (preferably from their own AS).  If you're
not a transit provider, don't send it to peers.  Regardless, filter
all the exchanges you are present at on _all_ inbound BGP sessions.
Only use your local route.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org