IDS experience's

  • From: Brandon Knicely
  • Date: Fri May 31 14:30:55 2002

IDS's have been around awhile but recently became interested in their
usefulness.  I was wondering if I could get some group feedback on the
following:

1.  How many folks have actually deployed either a NID, NNID or HID system?

2.  Have they been useful or just generated noise and excess cycles? (1 -
waste of time, 10 - water walker)

3.  Any 'real-world' comparative/useful data and/or opinion on different
approaches...ie pattern matching, anomoly detection and/or data mining
approaches?

4.  Any feedback on Snort, ISS, Cisco or Symantec?  Or other newer/different
approaches ie Okena?

5.  Other general good information, ie issues, gripes, etc.?

I would appreciate any help, feel free to contact direct or list and will
summarize.

thanks,

Brandon