RE: Trying to find a connectivity provider that wont go under (was RE: CAIS/Ardent and now Network Access Solutions)

  • From: Tim McKee
  • Date: Thu May 30 20:09:01 2002

Agreed.  As the architect for a large regional we strive to have full
transit with several large providers (and peer with folks when possible) so
that a single large provider unexpectedly 'biting the dust' or even
experiencing backbone problems won't destroy our network.  {Please note:
this is not a sales plug, we aren't anywhere in the MI area.}

And yes, the smaller local and regional providers must look at margins and
cash flow constantly.  They can't afford to pull the 'tricks' that are
getting the big guys in so much trouble.  My one caveat is to insure that
the smaller guy is fully multihomed with at least two different upstreams.

Tim