Re: IP renumbering timeframe

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Thu May 30 13:13:28 2002

In a message written on Thu, May 30, 2002 at 11:27:49AM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> I'd be mildly concerned that people would see "free IP blocks" and start
> using them even when not necessary. I think allocating them a /24 from
> this block only when they have demonstrated need, and don't have any other
> ARIN assigned blocks, would be far more efficient.

Since the goal is to reduce paperwork, I'm not sure about 'demonstrated
need', but I could definately endorse "you get a /24 with your ASN if
and only if you have no other registry assigned space assigned to you".
I specifically exclude provider allocated space, as I'm assuming the ASN
goal is to multihome.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org