Re: IP renumbering timeframe

  • From: Valdis.Kletnieks
  • Date: Thu May 30 09:51:18 2002

On Thu, 30 May 2002 09:20:17 EDT, Leo Bicknell <[email protected]>  said:

> Since you have to connect to two or more providers to get an ASN,
> and since the whole reason to have an ASN is to inject things into
> the DFZ it doesn't seem like it would increase routing table size
> by a huge amount.  It would eliminate one whole paperwork/justification
> step (for your first address allocation).  For subsequent allocations
> there is an example (that /24) of how efficiently the ISP uses the
> space.

Unless I'm missing something, it will double the size of it, since that
/24 out of that /8 won't aggregate with their other address space.
(Hint - our AS has 198.82/16 and 128.173/16 and some other small blocks -
how many routes do YOU see for us?)

Also, there's no real reason to think that address space usage in that
bootstrap /24 will accurately reflect usage in a /20 allocated to them,
since THAT /20 will probably be sub-allocated to users/customers.  Heck,
in our AS, the nameservers and mailservers and the like would probably
fit into a /27 (maybe a /26), and wouldn't tell you anything about
the /20 that covers Torgeson Hall....
--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer