Re: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Thu May 23 18:06:15 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Stephen Kowalchuk" <[email protected]>
> > Certification in the IT industry has become a nightmare
> > because people who are less than clueful have abused it in
> > the hiring and compensation processes.
>
> Picture yourself as a job-seeker three years ago.  Every recruiter you call
> hangs up on you because you don't have a CCNA.  What's the obvious
> conclusion?  CCNA == job.
>
> Try getting an accounting job without being a CPA; it's possible in some
> states, but it's not easy.

Your analogy is flawed. You have to be certified by the local bar
association to practice law in most states, and unless I'm mistaken (and
I might be) you have to have taken the CPA test and be certified as a CPA,
because the government says so.

--
Steve Sobol, CTO (Server Guru, Network Janitor and Head Geek)
JustThe.net LLC, Mentor On The Lake, OH  888.480.4NET   http://JustThe.net