Re: Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

  • From: Kevin Day
  • Date: Thu May 23 17:40:42 2002

> On Thu, 23 May 2002, E.B. Dreger wrote:
>
> > EIDE-based flash drives have become very inexpensive.  Some
> > embedded systems use CompactFlash boards.
>
> Can you set flash drives to be write-only? Sorry if this is a basic
> question, but the only EIDE mass-storage devices I've used are more
> traditional drives.

Write only? Sure, that's been around since at least 1972!

http://www.ganssle.com/misc/wom1.jpg
http://www.ganssle.com/misc/wom2.jpg

</smartassmode> :)

If you mean READ only, some of Sandisk's products (not their normal consumer
grade Compact Flash disks) have a read only mode. Some of which even have a
mode where you can blow a fuse inside the chip with a special instruction,
and make it read-only forever.

Someone else made a solid state flash based IDE compatible drive, too, that
had an option for "write once" per sector (yet could be all blanked using
another special command). I know they wrote a module for OS9 to support it
using its native filesystem (most FS's don't like being unable to write to
whatever they want, whenever they want). It may have been Atmel.

-- Kevin