RE: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Daniel Golding
  • Date: Thu May 23 14:54:08 2002

Mathew,

Most very good network engineers (and I'm not saying there are many of
these), are familiar with both network engineering, and, to at least a
limited degree, coding. These guys tend not to be "software engineers" or
developers, but can certainly crank out some perl, TCL, or C as the need
arises, usually for network management purposes. Network Engineers who can't
script their own monitoring or management apps are clearly not as useful as
those who can.

Additionally, a basic knowledge of software engineering/general comp sci
concepts, such as queuing, sorting, hashing, SPF algorithms, and other
discrete math areas are extremely useful to the network engineer who is
attempting to troubleshoot a subtle equipment or network problem, perhaps
one that is caused by the interaction of various vendor's equipment.

I'm not saying all IT certs are bad - I think I've had most of them, at one
time or another. However, if I had to pick between my degree, and any or all
of them, there would be no question that an engineering degree is more
useful.

The biggest problem with these certs, and the lack of network engineering
degree programs has been the lowest common denominator "network engineer",
who has no basic knowledge of the principles that underlie the profession,
but instead rely upon rote memorization or quick fixes. That's not to say
that I haven't met a few very good engineers without degrees - I just think
they would be much better engineers with them.

- Daniel Golding