Re: operational: icmp echo out of control?

  • From: Clayton Fiske
  • Date: Thu May 23 13:47:01 2002

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 10:05:08AM -0700, Mark Kent wrote:
> This isn't more than a nuisance for me, but I run a small net.
> Should I conclude that an ISP with a population 10 times bigger
> would have their border routers getting pinged at 10 times the
> rate I see?  If so, should we care, or just ignore it?

I can't speak for the specific rate at which our devices get pinged,
but the issue doesn't really worry me.

On Juniper (and probably on Cisco, but I can't speak for it) you can
apply a policer to ICMP on the loopback interface and it will take
effect for traffic addressed to any interface on the router. So if
it gets to be out of control, some will start to get dropped. No
need to watch over it and worry about adding filters and such.

-c