Re: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Stephen Sprunk
  • Date: Thu May 23 12:38:44 2002

Thus spake "Blake Fithen" <[email protected]>
> > Stephen Sprunk
> > Thus spake "Nigel Clarke" <[email protected]>
> > > Certifications are a waste of time. You'd be better off
> > > obtaining a Computer Science degree and focusing on the
> > > core technologies.
> >
> > If you're looking to write software, sure.  A CompSci degree
> > won't help you in the slightest at operating networks.
>
> Usually what you say is helpful.  I have to disagree with
> you here though.  A few things I learned in a CIS degree program
> which apply to networking:

With the exception of Scheme (yuck) and patience (yuck), I learned everything on
that list long before I graduated high school.  I understand many others didn't
have the opportunities or interests I did, but it's hardly necessary to major in
CS to understand basic data structures, logical processes, and a few useful Unix
skills.

A CS degree (or other BS) may be useful to some who have no other means of
learning.  However, I can't agree that it's the best way of obtaining that
knowledge, or that it gives you any immediate way to apply that knowledge.
Likewise, a cert doesn't demonstrate knowledge, it demonstrates a particular
skill.  Obviously, the best engineer will be one with knowledge and skills.

> Plus, when you are in the labs, and if you have the slightest
> bit of geek curiosity, the mind wanders and you inevitably
> have to find out how everything is connected.  Luckily the
> curiosity blossomed from there.

I was a unix hack until I got to college; I made the mistake of mouthing off to
the network guru (hi cvk!) about the school's network, and got a rapid and
thorough education about all the useful stuff that my professors weren't
teaching.  I was hooked.