Re: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Eric Gauthier
  • Date: Thu May 23 12:05:21 2002

> Degrees are, in essence, a certificate that you are capable of learning
> things by rote and regurgitating them later, possibly applying a small
> amount of thought (but not too much).

I can completely attest to that.  I've got a degree in theoretical
astrophysics and did graduate work in Quantum Physics.  If you ever try
to apply more than a small amount of thinking to Quantum Mechanics,
you'll explode faster than an electron and a positron having sex!

Now, you may be asking - "How does this relate to NANOG" or "How does Eric's
understanding of how Quantum Mechanics impacted the early Universe relate
to his ability to run or design a network"?  It doesn't, but neither does
this thread....

Just my $0.02.  Flame on.

Eric :)

"If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't
understand quantum mechanics."
  -- Richard Feynman: