Re: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Alexei Roudnev
  • Date: Thu May 23 11:58:01 2002

> On Wed, 22 May 2002, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>
> > Thus spake "Nigel Clarke" <[email protected]>
> > > Certifications are a waste of time. You'd be better off
> > > obtaining a Computer Science degree and focusing on the
> > > core technologies.
> >
> > If you're looking to write software, sure.  A CompSci degree won't help you
> > in the slightest at operating networks.
>
> Stephen - I bet I can do networks much much better than most cisco CCIEs,
> even after years of doing network-unrelated work :)  That's because I
> understand _why_ the stuff is working, not only how to make cisco box to
> jump through hoops.

Yes, but after you'll read a few books when you start working as a network
engineer again (if -:)).

CCIE just come and say _gays, you need Cisco XXX with IOS YY.YY and configure CEF,
RED,
packet inspection, bla bla bla... and he remember exact IOS commands.

If people want a narrow edicated engineer, they need CCIE-only gay. If they weant
someone who can do everything (may be, with extra time to learn specific piece of
hardware) - they need someone like Vadim.

And CCIE is not a good example - it's the BEST certification degree I ever know;
other certifications are much worst - most of them are just _guess an answer_
tests. Of course, knowing _top change a domain, you need to reinstall the system_
(from some old MS exam) is very important one (because no one can guess an
answer).

Btw, a friend of mine, very (VERY) high skilled gay, is looking for the new job
today. When I told  about him with someone, I always explain _he worked with MS
and CISCO for a 10 years; he teach Microsoft in Moscow, he designed a networks, he
worked as a PS for a 2 years, he bring Ascends into the Russia, he know Everything
about MS and Cisco. Oh, you need his credentials - btw, he is CCIE and MS
certified engineer. I never start from certificates, because they say nothing
except _gay can read a books and can learn to answer a questions_.
(Do you need jobless CCIE + MS certified _do not remember who_? You can hire one
just now).