Re: Routers vs. PC's for routing - was list problems?

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Thu May 23 10:23:01 2002

On Thu, 23 May 2002, Neil J. McRae wrote:

> I've done it in a production environment and unless money was
> extremely tight I wouldn't consider doing it again. You will
> save on capital expediture but you need an army of resources
> to support it. When I did it, it was on NetBSD running GateD 3.x.x.
> And it supported in both cases two of the largest ISPs in Europe.

Good point, I also did this for cash reasons and would just buy hardware
on the used market today. As far as OS, I was using stripped down FreeBSD.
I started with Linux, but at the time they did not support radix trees so
routing tables killed the box. If I HAD to do it again I would still say
away from Linux.

-Nathan