Re: list problems?

  • From: Rachel K. Warren
  • Date: Thu May 23 09:25:16 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:07:25PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 08:20:08PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> >
> > What I firmly believe is that a college graduate is more likely to
> > be sucessful and be promoted, particularly before they are 30.
>
> All that matters it that you have the knowledge. It doesn't matter if you
> got it from school or from experience, just that you got it.

If/when one wants to move high up the managerial ranks, there usually is
a glass ceiling without a degree.  Look at just about any companies
profiles of their senior managers or chief officers - just having a
BS/BA is rare - it's usually MBAs.

Also, one usually has an engineering degree if they are creating the
network hardware, e.g., ASICs.  It's difficult to create the hardware
if you don't already have the mathematical and theoretical background.

Then there is the theory that is behind the technical knowledge (of
routing). For example, a PhD named Dijkstra's created an algorithm named
after himself, which is used in OSPF today (personally, I like Dijkstra
for his COBOL quote the best ;-).

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule - I've had managers and
executive officers in the same companies I worked at who did not have
degrees.  But more often than not, the degree was there.

> Can we all just leave it at that, and try to get back to something
> operational?

I don't know, it's been more interesting than reading the repetitive
DDOS and NAT threads. :)

Rachel

--
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the
intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell