Re: Certification or College degrees? Was: RE: list problems?

  • From: senthil ayyasamy
  • Date: Thu May 23 00:43:32 2002

> >programs.  It could be a mix between the CCIE,
> Net+, etc.  Because I know
> >my Comp Engineering program doesn't touch on
> anything related at all to
> >networking, and never even mentions the idea of
> security.  So why not
> >create a focused area for this?
   This is a two cent view from a graduate student.I
have learned a lot of operational issues from this
list (though not this discussion :) ) .
  The curriculum you suggest is something called *body
shaping* where you teach even history students to do
latest stuff required by the companies.My view is a
strong dose on mathematics + data structures + working
knowledge in one language + (his field:
networks,antenna or power electronics) is enough for
exploring any field.I have seen many of my seniors and
my peers who have shined with these basic qualities.
   The current trend is highly interdiciplinary where
you have to apply skill from one field to
another.hence,a base degree is required to do all
those stuff.
  The market for networks ,database or any other field
is varied.Hence,there is always a question of
knowledge Vs skills.If have skill ,gaining knowledge
is easy but the reverse is not true.All certifications
comes under knowledge and basic core qualities
mentioned above comes in skill set.I never view
certifications as secondary but it is an added asset
while the base is always strong mathematical skill.I
dont think one can pass the final cisco certification
without this  basic qualification.
  I can learn something ,If you guys get back to your
technical discussion.Really,I could not have
comprehended many of your discussions without a base
knowledge from my bachelor degree.So,get back to
active discussion for us to learn.

- Senthil

=====
Ayyasamy Senthilkumar