Re: Certification or College degrees?

  • From: Ariel Biener
  • Date: Wed May 22 19:21:01 2002

  Hi all,

   I've read this thread with quite a bit of interest, I must admit. I
must say that after reading it all, I see alot of ... misguided
perceptions.

   Certifications, of any kind, be it university degrees, or other
generic certifications, or even the product specific ones, are just a way
to ascertain material knowledge. Nothing, nothing more. By no means are
they any good at ascertaining the persons ability to implement knowledge
(no matter what Cisco says about its hands on lab test). Like any other
program, they are built around a specific structure. That doesn't predict
the ability of a person to implement knowledge in new situations, adapt it
to his/her needs, and find a solution to a new problem.

   If the original question that started this thread meant to ask which is
better for getting a job, then I don't know, it depends on who's hiring.
Ideally though, a persons resume is built upon a few factors. You have the
core knowledge, which is - as some put it here - just data you accumulate.
Unless you practice with it, it stays fresh in your mind for a few months
tops, and then fades (remember those university mid terms ?).

   For knowledge to be useful, one needs to apply it. Thus, a resume
should mainly point out, apart from the "what you read from books" part,
and what toys you played with (be it routers, servers, and so on) how you
have implemented that knowledge, and where. This is, the "experience"
part. This includes references from former employers, whom you can call, and
other pertinent stuff. One of the qualities I look for most in people, is
the ability to learn and adapt, self motivation and independence. Of
course there are other personality issues taken into consideration, but
this is off topic.

   For the degree vs. certification bit, I'd say I treat them with the
same suspicion. The ability to learn from books and take tests is not
really a good predictor of a successful network engineer, or a successful
anything for that matter. IT environment tends to be very flexible and
fast paced. Technologies and products change at a fast pace, and at this
point, only the ability to learn and adapt, and I mean, learn by yourself,
not have me push you from behind, this predicts, IMHO, much better, the
chance of being able to hire someone that will last more than a short
while.

    Learning never stops. It's a never ending process, and that's the
beauty of it. Patting yourself on the back while looking at your resume,
where you see that you have X Y and Z diplomas will do no one any good. I
have nothing against college degrees, or vendor based (or independant
based) certifications. People should learn, and for all I care, as much as
they can. What matters, in the end, is their ability to implement what
they have learned.

    So, experience and abilities based on character and intelect are the
most important job ingredients you'll ever have. That doesn't mean
knowledge is not important. The IT business is not medicine, or engineering
of structures. The reason those require certifications up front is because
they deal with human lives. And yet, most doctors I know are incompetent,
despite the fact they passed their exams, and have their doctors license.

my 2 cents,

--Ariel

--
Ariel Biener