Re: Certification or College degrees? Was: RE: list problems?

  • From: Richard A Steenbergen
  • Date: Wed May 22 14:50:45 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:16:24AM -0700, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

> I would add to that statement:  Requiring a technology certification is
> equally as obsurd.

I think you mean "absurd", a word you should have heard a lot by now.

> I've been told I could pass the Emperor-Level CCIE test;

Emperor-Level CCIE? I don't even know where to go with that one.

> however, I do not believe it will add more value for my customers.

Certifications exist to help those without the knowledge to verify for
themselves decide if you have clue or if you are just bullshitting. Yes
I have seen people with CCIEs who could barely route their way out of a
paper bag, and I have seen people with no certifications who are more
useful than 100 CCIEs put together. But as a whole, the system works
fairly well, or companies would not put weight in Cisco certifications.

They can also do a good job telling us the difference between someone who
runs an actual network, vs say a hosting company located in a closet next
to a legacy Global Crossing access pop in Tucson AZ, where they have a DS3
yet claim to have a national OC192 network, and who steals graphics from
reputable companies like GX, EXDS, and CSCO.

http://www.bblabs.com/highspeed.htm
http://www.bblabs.com/data_center_picture.html
http://www.bblabs.com/dedicated_server.htm