Re: list problems?

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Wed May 22 12:24:41 2002

On Wed, 22 May 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > I dunno, if you really want to have this debate, I don't see why it's
> > unreasonable for the list parents to not want rampant cursing.
>
> In my travels to the southeast US, I found there are still people there
> who consider it inappropriate for a white woman to date a black man.  I
> would hope that all on this list understand how illogical that is.  To me
> it seems just as illogical to say it's inapproprate to use one word over
> another, when they both have the same meaning.

Come on, I curse like George Carlin but I don't to it in front of
customers. Are you telling me there is no such thing as appropriate
behavior in a public forum?

I understand your argument. But the point is, this is somebody elses
sandbox we're playing in. Calm down and play nice, or you'll have people
trying to kick you out.

> > I'm not saying that the people on this list don't like you, I'm just
> > saying that if you keep posting about CPU utilization when using linux for
> > routing and about how cisco sucks, in a very frequent manner, it will make
> > small idiosyncracies such as cursing stand out that much more.
>
> Lots of people don't like me, and I like it that way.  Saves me a lot
> nuisance from people who might think you're their friend.

Speaking of logic, that's an interesting way of putting things.

> >From the number of personal replies I got about these topics, it seems
> like many people are interested in sharing information about how to do
> routing on a budget, or how to avoid getting shot in the foot with your
> Cisco box.

Routing on a budget? Dude, you can buy a 7200 for $2 grand. Why bother
with a linux box? Heh, at least use FreeBSD :)

> I thought my posts were far more technical and relevant to
> network operation than the marketing hype being spewed by some
> others.  However, if the consensus is my posts are off-topic, I'll happily
> shut up wait to be told what are accpetable topics.

I don't think they're off topic. But other people do. YMMV. HTH.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access