RE: Cisco 7200 VXR with NPE-400 (was RE: The market must be coming back)

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Wed May 22 10:15:34 2002

> Based on our testing it looks like it all has to do with packet size.  With
> small packets the throughput is very low.  With what Cisco calls an
> "internet mix" of packet sizes throughput is much better.  When doing max
> MTU packets, the throughput is of course the best.

The other thing I've found about traffic type is how sensitive
netflow is.  I was running it for a while, then I got a co-lo customer
that had a lot of UDP traffic with small packet sizes and rarely more than
a few packets between the same src/dest ip/port (much like DNS
queries).  It was enough to flatline the box and cause it to crash.

-Ralph