The business side of the coin. WAS RE: The market must be coming back

  • From: Christopher J. Wolff
  • Date: Wed May 22 00:37:10 2002

I recall that, early in my career I had the opportunity to build a new
LAN backbone for a 6 story office building.  It was going to be Category
5! Woohoo. With a 12/24 fiber backbone.

ATM in a LAN environment was new at the time but I was going to make
sure I had an OC3 backhauling each of the floors to a central switch.  I
thought this design was beautiful and marvelous.  There was a neat new
company that made LAN-style ATM gear with performance specs that would
just blow your mind.

So when I took the design to the board they loved the fastethernet fiber
blah blah and gave approval.  But when it came down to selecting vendors
for the hardware I ran right into a brick wall with questions like:

How long has this company been in business?
Are they using open standards?
Do they have knowldgeable tech support?
..and so on.

So, regardless of whether the hardware is the fastest thing on the
block, pushing 10 nanobits at a megaflop, you can look like a fool if
you don't consider the business repercussions of the vendor you choose.
In the end, I didn't get my design approved until I chose Cisco.  Was I
pissed, sure!  Did I ship off white papers and other propaganda to
support my case? Yes!  But the company went bankrupt about 2 weeks after
I submitted the bid.

Just my .02,

Regards,
Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO