DoS on ftp port

  • From: Brian Wilson
  • Date: Tue May 21 09:29:07 2002

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this happen recently:
https://uni01nf.unity.ncsu.edu/ncsu/usage/io-fps-service-daily.html

We maxed out at about 10,000 flows/sec.  I'm currently going back through
our argus logs and collecting a list of source hosts (all appear to be
spoofed of course).  In a 15 minute period we had 4.2 million unique hosts
pounding one of our servers.

The only reason I post this is that on some other off-campus machines I
maintain, I've seen an increase in ftp connections.  So, I was wondering
if this is some new worm, ddos, or something of that nature.  If anyone
would care to comment, I'm all ears.

Brian

--
Brian Wilson                                  [email protected]
Network Analyst                               W: 919.513.3472