RE: The market must be coming back

  • From: Gary
  • Date: Tue May 21 03:39:57 2002

Richard:

> Personally I would say that Foundry does EVERYTHING less than perfect.
> Nearly everyone I'm aware of (including myself) who has had to misfortune
> to try and use their devices in a service provider environment and a layer
> 3 role has come away with a universal loathing of biblical proportions.

Not worth a response.  Can't please everybody and you CAN'T design everyone's network for them.  Sort of like EIGRP.  Even the worst network engineer can look great with it.  Perhaps you should read JANOG.  Maybe they can help you.  Search for フアウンドリ。 (note, if you cannot read this, it is Japanese for Foundry in unicode).

> I really can't stress this enough, it DOES NOT MATTER how many gigabits
> your box forwards. A router is ONLY as useful as the quality of its
> software and support, if you can't login to it or have working routing
> protocols, it's just a big paperweight. The only "wannabe cisco" company I
> have seen learn this lesson is Juniper, and I am firmly convinced this is
> the reason for their success in the core.

Juniper is an OUSTANDING company.  Much better than many networking companies in many respects.  I've also heard nothing but good things about Unisphere here in Japan, so perhaps this will be a good marriage with benefits to service providers.  I'll enjoy competing.  We will compete.

> Whenever I read a press release about Foundry in the core, I stop and take
> a moment to laugh uncontrollably. It has nothing to do with ISIS or MPLS,
> it has to do with making your existing functionality work correctly and
> behave in a sensible fashion. Nothing personal against Foundry, but the
> people in charge couldn't possibly "not get it" any more than they do now.

Remember what you said in this paragraph.  I will refer to it later.

Yoroshiku,

Gary