Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Sun May 19 15:25:46 2002

helium:~$ whois -a 207.99.113.65
Net Access Corporation (NETBLK-NAC-NETBLK01)
   1719b Route 10E, Suite 111
   Parsippany, NJ 07054
   US

   Netname: NAC-NETBLK01
   Netblock: 207.99.0.0 - 207.99.127.255
   Maintainer: NAC

   Coordinator:
      Net Access Corporation  (ZN77-ARIN)  [email protected]
      800-638-6336

   Domain System inverse mapping provided by:

   NS1.NAC.NET                  207.99.0.1
   NS2.NAC.NET                  207.99.0.2

   ADDRESSES WITHIN THIS BLOCK ARE NON-PORTABLE

   * Reassignment information for this network is available
   * at whois.nac.net 43

On Sun, 19 May 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > > rough assessment of their network security, which was important to me
> > > as a customer for obvious reasons.
> >
> > In that case, I would not consider the scan to have come from an
> > 'unaffiliated' person. I'm sure if the bank's network operator noticed it,
> > and contacted you, things would have been cleared up with no harm done. To
>
> It sounds like you know something that I don't.  How do you find out the
> contact information for someone given only an IP address?
>
> -Ralph

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --