Re: route statistics

  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
  • Date: Sun May 19 08:04:50 2002

On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 07:02:58PM -0400,
 Ralph Doncaster <[email protected]> wrote
 a message of 10 lines which said:

> I'm trying to collect statistics on how many routes match certain
> patterns.  So far I've been using zebra, set term len 0, and then sh ip
> bgp regexp, and wait for the total prefixes count at the end of the list.
> I figure there must be a better way than this, but so far haven't found
> one.  Any ideas?

Compile zebra with --enable-snmp (the Debian binary package just
switched on this option) and snmpwalk the BGP table (1.3.6.1.2.1.15 ==
mib-2.15, see RFC 1657) ?

I didn't benchmark the two solutions against each other. If the BGP
machine is an actual forwarding router, not just a dedicated looking
glass, be sure to look at its load, not just at the wall-clock
response time.

Another solution is to dump the routing table
<URL:http://manticore.2y.net/doc/zebra/bgpd.html#Dump BGP packet and
table> in MRT format and to use MRT tools to analyze it (I tried that
and at least the Python version of these tools is hopelessly broken).