Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

  • From: Greg A. Woods
  • Date: Sat May 18 23:08:18 2002

[ On Saturday, May 18, 2002 at 16:03:11 (-0700), Scott Francis wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)
>
> And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
> network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
> attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
> I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
> by network admins against their own networks).

I scan networks and hosts very regularly for legitimate diagnostic
purposes as well as occasionally for curiosity's sake.  I've never
attacked any host or network that I was not directly responsible for.
If you don't want the public portions of your network mapped then you
should withdraw them from public view.

BTW, please be one heck of a lot more careful with your replies.  My
original reply to you was not copied to the list and I did not give you
permission to post a response quoting my words back to the list.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;  <[email protected]>;  <[email protected]>;  <[email protected]>
Planix, Inc. <[email protected]>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <[email protected]>