Re[2]: "portscans" (was Re: Arbor Networks DoS defense product)

  • From: Allan Liska
  • Date: Sat May 18 21:52:30 2002

Hello,

Saturday, May 18, 2002, 7:17:43 PM, you wrote:

RD> On Sat, 18 May 2002, Scott Francis wrote:

>> And why, pray tell, would some unknown and unaffiliated person be scanning my
>> network to gather information or run recon if they were not planning on
>> attacking? I'm not saying that you're not right, I'm just saying that so far
>> I have heard no valid non-attack reasons for portscans (other than those run
>> by network admins against their own networks).

RD> I often like to know if a particular web server is running Unix or
RD> Winblows.  A port scanner is a useful tool in making that determination.

[[email protected] phpdig]$ telnet www.istop.com 80
Trying 216.187.106.194...
Connected to dci.doncaster.on.ca (216.187.106.194).
Escape character is '^]'.
HEAD / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 01:47:57 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) FrontPage/4.0.4.3 PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.8
Last-Modified: Sat, 18 May 2002 06:05:35 GMT
ETag: "68807-9ff5-3ce5ef2f"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

Connection closed by foreign host.

(make sure you hit [Enter] twice after the "HEAD / HTTP/1.0").  Gets
you all of the information you need, and you don't have to do a
portscan.  I have a perl script that automates the task if you would
like it, let me know.

allan
--
allan