Re: PAIX (was Re: Interconnects)

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Sat May 18 16:52:46 2002

> > Why no optional MLPA like AADS?  [...]
>
> we had one at first.  after a few years of approximately no signatories,
> we stopped trying.  my own experience is that bilaterals are more useful
> for engineering purposes and that multilaterals are kind of swampy.

One BGP session instead of dozens is more convenient.  Maybe not more
useful for engineering, but certainly less work than negotiating and
configuring a bunch of sessions for bilateral peering.

For smaller ISPs like mine, knowing in advance that you won't get snubbed
for peering after connecting to an exchange is the big attraction.  Given
the dozens of signatories on the AADS MLPA, it looks like they can be
quite popular.

-Ralph