Re: Interconnects

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri May 17 17:05:24 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002 [email protected] wrote:
> 	perhaps better late than never...  PAIX & LINX both
> 	have IPv6 capabilities at/on the exchange fabric(s).
> 	I am not aware that Equinix has taken that step.

Uhm, another dumb question.

Why does the operator of a layer 2 exchange care (or know) what
protocols your are using?  IPv4, IPv6, heck I remember seeing
Appletalk, OSI and DECNET on MAE-EAST.  What consenting network
operators do....

What step does Equinix (or any other layer 2 exchange) need to do?
The ATM NAPs might have an issue due to ATM/ARP, but even then I suspect
two consenting network operators could use static IPv6 ARP tables
without the NAP operator doing anything.