Re: Interconnects

  • From: Alex Rubenstein
  • Date: Fri May 17 11:42:49 2002

On Fri, 17 May 2002, Ralph Doncaster wrote:

> > There are some relatively small regionals like NYIIX where you won't find
> > many large carriers, but they still have their own little nitch markets.
>
> There's been rumors of NYIIX and PAIX-NY linking up like SIX and
> PAIX-seattle.

True, but PAIX-NY is not exactly anything to salivate over.

> >   * Price - In these times of cost conciousness (and transit available
> >     for less than the price of peering), many people are taking a step back
> >     and realizing that PAIX services are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced vs the
> >     competition. Some big carriers are turning down their PAIX switch
> >     ports, even at Palo Alto.
>
> Which is why I was surprised that Paul offered PAIX-seattle connectivity
> for a $300 one-time charge for those who are already connected to SIX.

Good point. Folks running the NAPs have to realize that in this day,
you can buy relatively good transit in the $50 to $200/meg range. This
makes getting capacity to, colo'ing at, and paying for NAP port cost more
than transit, in many cases. IIX is the only exchange point that I've run
across that is priced as it should be.

-- Alex Rubenstein, AR97, K2AHR, [email protected], latency, Al Reuben --
--    Net Access Corporation, 800-NET-ME-36, http://www.nac.net   --