Re: anybody else been spammed by "no-ip.com" yet?

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Fri May 10 14:09:19 2002

Jim Hickstein wrote:

> One clarification: Can these users relay through that host, using
> SMTP AUTH, from anywhere, or only from within your network?  I
> observe, for instance, that the instructions for Outlook 2000
> (Windows) does not have them check "my [outgoing SMTP] server
> requires authentication".
>
> If the former, great!  I'll inform my affected customers.  If the
> latter, they'll have to fool with settings as they move around --
> which you no doubt already know is asking too much of 99% of the
> population. :-)

According to a message posted to one of the EL support newsgroups a
while back, they run a separate SMTP AUTH mail server that will work as
you describe.  It's not the same server that customers use from an EL
line, however.

I haven't actually used this server.  I also don't know if it's a
permenant thing or if it's just an experiment at this time.

-- David