Re: IP renumbering timeframe

  • From: David R Huberman
  • Date: Thu May 09 19:50:11 2002

DS writes:
> Nonetheless, ARIN is in the business of requiring compliance with its
> policies as a condition of IP address allocations.

In the real world ARIN only looks at existing assignments to judge the
worthiness of an additional address space request. It doesn't look at nor
care about non-existent assignments.

DS writes:

> Third parties can make reasonable arguments that they have standing to
> litigate these requirements on the grounds that the requirements were
> intended to benefit the public in general and hence they are intended
> beneficiaries.

ARIN plays, at most, an advisory role to upstream/downstreams vis-a-vis
appropriate assignments. It does not get involved with legal disputes nor
does it ever directly instruct businesses how to conduct their affairs

Sure: organizations have successfully gotten more appropriate assignments
from upstreams by thrusting ARIN policies in front of an obstinate
upstream's face. Good.

But those policies in no way preclude an upstream from taking away
downstream assignments - especially in the case of this thread, where the
customer/upstream relationship was terminated.

Can we please stop this non-argument now? I agree with what you've said:
ARIN policies are good for those trying to obtain appropriate assignments.
But the more basic argument of "will I make an assignment to my
downstream" or "will I allow this assignment to remain in effect" has
nothing to do with what you're talking about.