RE: Another reason to not use MAPS

  • From: Mansey, Jon
  • Date: Wed May 08 11:59:29 2002

Moral of this story, if you have or even think you have a great idea, do NOT
become an employee (they own you), stay a contractor (you own you).

Jm

http://www.eff.org/CAF/law/multimedia-handbook

And to just clarify what I'm pointing out in this:

"Naturally, you don't need a copyright license for material which you create
yourself.  However, you should be aware that the rules regarding ownership
of copyright are complex.  You should not assume that you own the copyright
if you pay an independent contractor to create the work (or part of it).  In
fact,generally the copyright in a work is owned by the individual who
creates the work, except for full-time employees working within the scope of
their employment and copyrights which are assigned in writing."

Gordon was a full time employee.  His work is property of MAPS.  MAPS is on
the right, and they are on the right with what they are doing, period.

--conradr