Re: Another reason to not use MAPS

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Wed May 08 01:55:27 2002

On Wed, 8 May 2002, Conrad A. Rockenhaus wrote:

> Lets take it to another level.  Xecunet hires someone, and that person has
> this great idea on how to make some webhosting solution better than
> everyone elses.  Xecunet develops it, provides it as a "free upgrade" but
> then realizes that they need to cover some costs, so you start charging a
> little extra.  Fine and good, right?
>
> Well, your employee leaves and goes to some big webhosting company, and
> implements the idea.  You paid him to develop the idea, and assisted with
> the research, how do you feel about that?  Is he entitled to do that, to
> take something he developed for your company and implement it somewhere
> else?  I wouldn't think so, then someone would of taken Windows from
> Microsoft a while back, and sold it as "Blinds" or something like that.

We would have prevented this contractually. As would any company.

According to Nick Nicholas, who hired him, such contractual obligations
were deliberately left out of the employment contract.

Now, I'm perfectly willing to submit to the fact that I don't know Nick
Nicholas' agenda or involvement peripheral to the events discussed.
However, he claims to be the man who hired Gordon, so this would seem to
be reliable to some degree. Please comment on this...I don't claim to have
a deeper understanding than exists from reading the filing and various

I agree with you, though, if you say that because he didn't get the
contract put in place initially, he had no leg to stand on. He doesn't
really have a claim, and thus he backed down, and gave up.

It just bugs me on some deep level that a company that builds itself on
the efforts of many volunteers, who asks for donations for a legal fund,
who acts like a non-profit organization for so long, goes out and spends
money executing a lawsuit in another country against a man who had already
publicly certified his compliance with MAPS' demands, a man who had helped
build MAPS. There had to be a better solution. That's why all the "rabid
frothing" as somebody else put it.

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access