Re: Another reason to not use MAPS

  • From: Andy Dills
  • Date: Tue May 07 23:22:00 2002

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Margie Arbon wrote:

> --On Tuesday, May 07, 2002 6:04 PM -0400 Andy Dills <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> ><...>
> > Now, MAPS has filed a lawsuit against a former employee. Why? Because
> > he might interfere with their ability to make money by giving away
> > something for free that they charge for!

<...>
> Precisely what other course of action could MAPS take?

You could let him do whatever he wants with it. The premise of you
charging for access to the various databases was based on a need to cover
cost, not a desire to profit. Now you act with motivations specifically
based on a desire to protect profit.

In other words, you have no cred on this street corner. You have no moral
high ground. You're just another microsft or network solutions complaining
about how unfair it is, the injustice of the world!

You used to be the vigilante force patrolling the net, looking to stop
spam by any means neccessary. You did so because that was the what the net
needed. Then you started to charge for it. Seems reasonable, and while it
upset a lot of long-time contributors (you're making me pay for a service
I helped build?), it made sense from the point of view that "Hey, we're
losing our shirts here, we need money."

So, now, instead of fighting spam for free, you're fighting a spam
fighter, the legal bills of which are paid for with the revenues generated
based on you selling the intellectual property contributed by many people!

What other course of action could MAPS take? You could throw out the
people making decisions with their over-stuffed pocketbooks and re-invent
yourself.

> > So, you who subscribe to MAPS: When will you be cancelling your
> > subscriptions? It's no longer about stopping spam with them, now it's
> > about money. FWIW, the other blacklists out there are just as good. I
> > particularly like njabl.org.
>
> For those wishing to actually *read* the filings before passing
> judgement:
>
> http://mail-abuse.org/dul_info/

For those wishing to actually *think* about what MAPS is really doing
here before passing judgement:

http://www.chickenboner.com/lawsuit/

Andy

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andy Dills                              301-682-9972
Xecunet, LLC                            www.xecu.net
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access